4025 Filager Road | Batavia, Ohio 45103
The Clermont County Humane Society (CCHS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1957. CCHS is governed by an all-volunteer board of directors.
In 1971, CCHS began their relationship with the Board of County Commissioners of Clermont County when it was contracted by the County to provide shelter for county-claimed animals.
In 1973, CCHS built a shelter that included an adoption center and leased the land on which the shelter was built from the County.
In 1996, CCHS expanded its contractual agreement by taking on additional reponsibilities, that of the County's Animal Control Program. Each Ohio county is required by state law to provide such a service to their community. This includes the collection and disposal of stray dogs and the invetigation/prosecution of animal neglect/abuse cases. It was further negotiated that the only financial contribution made to this program by the County would be from the County's Dog & Kennel Fund. The D&K Fund is comprised of the annual sale of dog licenses and any residuals that might be collected as a result of court convictions.
By 2001, CCHS had accumulated approximately $250,000 in its building fund specifically earmarked for a new shelter. CCHS approached the Board of County Commissioners and suggested a partnership between the two entities that might result in the constuction of a new animal shelter. It was met with a very positive response.
In August 2003, a new county shelter was dedicated and opened for operation. Nearly double in size, the new facility has increased the capacity of the animal population from 109 to 168 (with the potential of housing up to 190), allowing us to hold animals longer than we could have in the old shelter. In addition, it has a grooming room, photo tech room, (2) get-acquainted rooms, and an isolation room where animals can be held for observation to assure they have no communicable illnesses that could affect the rest of the adoption center's population.
Improving the lives of animals in need since 1957!